Thursday, December 9, 2010

In the kitchen today... making a yummy turkey!

The week before Thanksgiving I stocked up on Turkeys at great prices. Today I've put one of them in the oven for dinner tonight.

My family loves turkey. Turkey's don't take much more time to prepare for the oven than a chicken does. And by fixing turkey you are sure to have leftovers to last a few days or freeze for later throw together meals. Making them economical.

I love to slow roast my turkey all day long. Thanks to Cindy Rushton in her Perfect Turkey Every Time (REALLY!) post for sharing how to make roasting a turkey all day long easy and hassle free.

After I thaw the turkey (in the fridge for several days), I start the turkey early in the day, by rinsing out the inside. Then I slice a lemon, and peel 5-6 garlic cloves, put a few lemon slices and a garlic cloves in the neck cavity, and the rest go in the body cavity. I then create a herb rub of thyme, rosemary, sage, and anything else I want to add at the time, mixed in a few Tblspns of olive oil. I rub the turkey breast underneath the skin. And then rub the rest of the turkey on top of the skin all over with the remaining herb/olive oil rub.

I then cover with foil, stick it in the oven, and let it roast all day long. By the middle of the day the house is filled with all sorts of yummy smells from the turkey and the herbs, heightening the anticipation for a family dinner together. And I can have one more thing off my mind knowing that the main entree for dinner will be ready when we are.

What meals did you make from your leftover Thanksgiving turkey? Leave a comment and share your ideas here!

Be Blessed

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband would love it if I made more than one turkey a year!! You have inspired me.