Thursday, April 24, 2008

The "Never Ending" pot of beans

It's amazing how versatile beans can be, and how long one pot of them can last. Last week was tight. We had extra expenses come out of hubby's check and I wasn't able to spend as much on groceries as I wish. (Fact is, I hardly ever get to spend as much as I want, but this week was much leaner :) ) So I got to be creative.
With God's help of course (smile).
I found a recipe for Black Bean Soup http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/blackbeansoup2.htm. When i made it I added rice to make it a little more substantial. Served with home made bread, salad, milk and tea. It was yummy! And there were left overs.
The next night I added 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup and some more rice to thicken up the leftovers. I used 4 large whole weat wraps and filled them with 1/2cup to 1cup of the black bean mixture, rolled them up, topped them with green enchilada sauce and cheese, and baked them. Another yummy dinner from that pot of beans. And still leftovers.
The following night, I added 1 or 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes. Then I halved 4 large green peppers, filled each half with 1/2 cup bean mixture, topped with grated Cheddar Cheese and baked it. Served with salad and Iced tea. We even had enough for company that night. :) Night #3 on that pot of beans. And still there were leftovers.
The next day was shopping day for me. I wanted to finish off those leftovers so they wouldn't go to waste and spoil. I cooked 2 boneless chicken breast halves and diced them well. Mixed them into the beans, used it to fill whole wheat tortillas. There was just the right amount to fill enough tortillas for a 9x13 baking dish. It was quick and easy, and still yummy.
My hubby tries to follow the Zone Diet, so these meals weren't quite balanced for him. But still some what nutritious for the time and money they required.
If you ever find yourself in a lean time.... remember to be content. Find your contentment IN GOD, but don't be satisfied with your current situations. Always ask God to help you be creative with what you have, and believe God for bigger and better things in your future.
Hoping your day today is blessed.

No comments: