Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Honey how much do you want for.....??

This really isn't the best way to let your hubby know that something of his is about to make it's exit from our home. But this is how I announced to my hubby that his Olympic barbell and weight set was up for sale. After all, he is a personal trainer at a local gym now, and we get free access to it whenever we want. So the afore mentioned equipment is just taking up residency in the corner, wanting of use. We kept it this long to have on hand in case we wanted to work out at home, but it really hasn't been touched for the past few months except when I get the urge to vacuum in that corner (which isn't very often).
Spring cleaning fever (although late), claustrophobia, living in a small house syndrome, call it what you will, I have once again started evicting unused items that are taking up valuable real estate in our small home.
And it has been so freeing.
Yesterday I cleaned out of our closet 3 sacks of clothes to take to Goodwill (ok so I put one really cute baby dress back, even though it would never be worn again... snif). It is amazing how many stained, tattered, shabby, or just haven't been worn in a while articles of clothing can hide in the back recesses of even the smallest closets.
After the closet I tackled the book shelves, then my sewing/knitting bin. I have two sewing machines sitting on top of my bin that haven't been used in a while. Time to get rid of one of them (Jordan wants to learn to sew so we keep one).
I've had to look at each and every item, piece by piece, and really scrutinize my love for it and if I still want to let it stay put. Some of it was really hard to let go, some of it not so hard, but once I did make the decision to kick it out the door, that items hold on me was broken.
Probably the best item I got rid of? My couch. Yep, that's right, my couch and recliner. It went bye bye last week. To me it was old, took up too much space, and wasn't pretty enough to be in our home. So I listed it on craigslist, and it found a new home with a young couple who lost everything in a fire. God Bless them for taking my couch.
Do I have one to replace it yet? Nope. Not yet. But we're being creative, and have moved the two toy chests into the living room. With lots of pillows it can be quite comfey. And if it's not comfey, it's just more of a reason to not sit for long periods and actually get up to get more stuff done.
But I'm sure something will come along soon. My ideal would a nice futon. A futon could double as a bed in a pinch, and be tall enough slide clear plastic storage tubs under.
What's the next thing I'm considering sending out the door? The waterbed. But I won't suprise hubby with this one. I'll give him more notice when the time comes.

No comments: