Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One Pot Roast - Two Meals

As many of you noticed, the cost of food has gone way up. Way, way up. As the money keeper and cook of the family, I have to use a little ingenuity to make the food budget stretch farther.

I shop sales, and I do use coupons when I find coupons for the products I use. But the food budget is still really tight. Whatever I can do to make meals go farther, I do.

A roast is one of the easiest ways to make a meal that can actually stretch to two meals.

Whenever I make a chicken or beef pot roast, I add all the veggies I can fit in the pot. Veggies such as potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, garlic, peas, etc. Then I add my spices and herbs, maybe a can of diced tomatoes, and let it slow roast for an easy meal that day.


Whatever meat and veggies are not eaten in the evening can be placed in freezer containers or baggies with the juice from the pot to freeze for a quick stew later. If you have a larger family, and not very many veggies left over, simply keep a gallon freezer bag in the freezer to add any leftover veggies to. Every time you have a roast, add whatever leftover veggies you have to the baggie. When the baggie is full, you have enough to make a yummy stew. Be sure to add any meat bones you may have as well.

For stew, simply toss the frozen veggies in a pot, or the crock pot. Add some beef/chicken broth, water, a can of diced tomatoes, 3/4 cup of barley or rice, and your favorite herbs. Let simmer for several hours.

Serve with home made Feather Bread, a salad, and tea.

Do you have any tips you can share to help others stay with their food budget? Share them in comments below, or post them on YOUR blog and leave a link below in comments.

Blessings

Angela

No comments: