Monday, March 7, 2011

Emily Ocker's Cast On


Today was a busy, busy day full of home schooling, errands, and visiting the library. I didn't have much time to sit down and do what I love the most, knitting. But I was able to squeeze in just enough time to make a few stitches.

I a started a new blanket to replace a previous one I was not able to finish.

I began a baby blanket 2 weeks after Little Miss Daredevil was born. I have been working on it off and on for the past 3 years, but I underestimated the amount of yarn I needed. So I obviously ran out of yarn, and sadly discovered the yarn I was using had been discontinued.

There is nothing more frustrating than spending countless hours on a project only to be able to not finish it because you ran out of yarn. So this time I bought double the amount of yarn I think I will need.

The pattern I am using uses a circular beginning, more specifically the "Emily Ocker's Circular Beginning" as described in Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitters Almanac.

This beginning is a little tricky to get the hang of. But once you do it a few times, it really is easy, and the simplest way to start any knitting project that requires a circular beginning.

Below is one of the best tutorials of this beginning I could find. Thank God for YouTube!

And the shawl that she shows in the beginning of the video is absolutely beautiful. After doing some Google Searching, I do believe the shawl is knit from the Feather and Fan Shawl in Meg Swansen's Gathering of Lace. It is very similar to the shawl featured in this Blog post here on The Rainey Sisters



Do you have a craft or hobby you love? Do you have any projects in the works? Share them with me! Leave a comment with a small blurb, or post it on your blog and leave a link in comments below!

Blessings!

Angela

No comments: